*File size when opened in Photoshop, etc.
STORY: Philippine expert hails China's social progress under CPC leadership as instructive
DATELINE: Sept. 30, 2022
1. various of the development of China
A Philippine expert says the Communist Party of China (CPC), with a people-centered philosophy, has led the country to make progress in many aspects.
Herman Tiu Laurel, a veteran journalist and founder of the Philippine-BRICS Strategic Studies think tank, points out that China's social progress is very instructive for the Philippines.
SOUNDBITE (English): HERMAN TIU LAUREL, Founder of Philippine-BRICS Strategic Studies
"I think everything about the Communist Party of China is people-centered from the very beginning. Its founding is about the people of China, bringing them out of poverty, of the feudal ages, and bringing them out of poverty of the underdeveloped state of China, of course in the process, also liberation of women in China, liberation of the culture, modernization of
STORY: Somalis abandon homes in search of food, water and aid as drought deepens
DATELINE: Sept. 30, 2022
LOCATION: BAIDOA, Somalia
1. Various of Issack Hassan, children, temporary shelter, IDP camp
2. SOUNDBITE 1 (Somali): ISSACK HASSAN, Displaced Somali
3. SOUNDBITE 2 (Somali): ISSACK HASSAN, Displaced Somali
4. Various of IDPs, animal carcass on ground
5. SOUNDBITE 3 (Somali): ISSACK HASSAN, Displaced Somali
7. Various of children, shelter, dry field
8. Various of cow carcass, baby being weighed at clinic, child holding sachet of plumpy nut
9. SOUNDBITE 4 (English): ASMAL BRAHIM, UNHCR field assistant
10. Various of woman holding child, displaced people walking in settlement
11. SOUNDBITE 5 (Somali): OSMAN IBRAHIM MOHAMED, Displaced Somali pastoralist
12. Various of livestock carcasses, cow on ground, Osman looking at animal carcass
13. SOUNDBITE 6 (Somali): OSMAN IBRAHIM MOHAMED, Displaced Somali pastoralist
14. Various of animal carcass, women and children se
STORY: Kuwait holds parliamentary elections
DATELINE: Sept. 30, 2022
LOCATION: Kuwait City
1. various of the voting station
Kuwaitis headed to parliamentary polls on Thursday to elect 50 members of the National Assembly from among 305 candidates representing five constituencies in the country, state news agency KUNA reported.
Nearly 800,000 citizens are eligible to vote in the Kuwaiti elections and 22 of the 305 candidates are women, said KUNA.
The Ministry of the Interior has selected 123 schools as polling stations, it added.
This is the first time that the voting system based on national identity is adopted in Kuwaiti elections, meaning each voter can only go to the polling station in their own constituency.
Kuwait officially dissolved the parliament on Aug. 2 in a royal decree saying the dissolution resulted from "lack of harmony and cooperation ... and behavior that threaten national unity."
With a mandate of four years, the unicameral Kuw
STORY: Police officer killed in PKK suicide bombing in southern Türkiye: minister
DATELINE: Sept. 28, 2022
1. various of the terrorist attack recorded by security cameras (Courtesy of Ihlas news agency)
2. various of scene near the police station in the Mezitli district in Mersin province of Türkiye (Courtesy of Ihlas news agency)
3. various of police officers defusing the other trapped bomb at the scene of the terrorist attack near the police station in the Mezitli district in Mersin province of Türkiye (Courtesy of Ihlas news agency)
One police officer was killed and another injured late on Monday when a bomb exploded near a hotel in Türkiye's southern province of Mersin, Interior Minister Suleyman Soylu said Tuesday.
Soylu told reporters that the outlawed Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) was responsible for the attack, adding two women carried out attacks and died in the suicide bombing.
The two women, affiliated with the PKK gro
(220926) -- KIGALI, Sept. 26, 2022 (Xinhua) -- Lilian Uwintwali, the chief executive of Mahwi Tech, receives an award for her innovation at the Women Agripreneur of the Year Awards 2022 in Kigali, Rwanda, Sept. 7, 2022. TO GO WITH "Feature: Rwanda's Lilian Uwintwali aspiring to digitalize Africa's agriculture" (Ministry of Agriculture Rwanda/Handout via Xinhua)
(220925) -- SAN FRANCISCO, Sept. 25, 2022 (Xinhua) -- Photo taken on Sept. 24, 2022 shows a scene of the commemorative event to mark the fifth anniversary of the "comfort women" statue at the St. Mary's Square in San Francisco, the United States. The statue was built in remembrance of females of different countries who were sexually enslaved by the Japanese military during World War II. (Photo by Liu Yilin/Xinhua)
(220918) -- KATHMANDU, Sept. 18, 2022 (Xinhua) -- A woman in traditional attire offers a prayer during the Jitiya festival in Kathmandu, Nepal, Sept. 18, 2022. The Jitiya festival is mostly celebrated by married women from the Tharu community for the well-being of their husbands and sons by observing a fast without water. (Photo by Sulav Shrestha/Xinhua)
(220918) -- KATHMANDU, Sept. 18, 2022 (Xinhua) -- Women in traditional attire offer prayers during the Jitiya festival in Kathmandu, Nepal, Sept. 18, 2022. The Jitiya festival is mostly celebrated by married women from the Tharu community for the well-being of their husbands and sons by observing a fast without water. (Photo by Sulav Shrestha/Xinhua)